Friday, September 9, 2011

Contagion

As I was typing my last blog I heard on the radio an advertisement for a new movie Contagion.  It sort of reminded me of the ER episode where there was a small pox out break and the hospital was quarantined. Of course there was the requisite 'drama' and extreme over acting that is meant to draw the audience into the story and tug at the heart strings.  If memory serves me right, it was within 'weeks' of that episode that we started getting reports in the news of a possible 'small pox' outbreak. Which was followed by the CDC announcing that there was a vaccine available.

 Of course President Bush was the first one to get the vaccine. However, most of the health care workers who were supposed to administer this vaccine to the public REFUSED to be vaccinated.  They were concerned with the fact that the vaccine was a live virus vaccine and live viruses mutate.  Once that juicy tidbit leaked out the public thought twice before rushing to get their Small Pox vaccine and the 'threat' as reported died quietly on the news desk, of course there was NO outbreak.  

 So I would like each of you reading my blog to pay attention to the news in the next few weeks following the release of Contagion.  I would hazard a bet that a 'new' and deadly form of Small Pox or some other dastardly 'contagion' will have been discovered.  It will be hyped with drama, stern, worried expressions and the heart felt recommendation that you get your vaccination as soon as possible. 

 I am asking each of you to think logically and remember how many other epidemics or pandemics have failed to materialize in the past decade regardless of the hype that precipitated them. It will be interesting to see if my prediction comes to fruition. Wouldn't that be something? 


Dr. B

No comments:

Post a Comment