Friday, July 6, 2012

The Stress of Self Worth

In 2008 a German businessman whose estimated personal wealth was in excess of 6 Billion dollars threw himself in front of a train after his business posted a loss of 500 million that year. He could have covered that loss with his own money and not feel any economic pain for six or seven life times.  Sadly a week following his death Germany bailed out his firm...talk about bad timing.

 The idea that a person worth over six billion dollars, cash in the bank, could have felt so destitute that he felt compelled to commit suicide boggles my mind.  To put it into perspective a billion dollars is 1,000,000 (one million dollars) multiplied by 1,000 (one thousand).  If anyone of us were blessed with a million dollar pay out our lives would be changed quite nicely.  I could pay off my student loans, office loan, car loan put enough money away to pay for my kids college, all three of them..and still have enough left over to buy a really nice house in a nice neighborhood with a few hundred grand left over.  Imagine what it would be like if we had a billion dollar pay out.  I actually tried to spend a billion dollars in my head, but I only managed to spend a mere 50,000,000 before I ran out of  'stuff' to spend it on.  Perhaps I am not thinking like a billionare...Oh well.  

Being a dedicated chiropractor I would not retire even if I could afford to.  I would remain in practice until the very end expanding my office to create a spa for my patients so that each and every one felt as though they'd been spoiled rotten. I think the difference is having a sense of purpose rather than a sense of worth. I would spend the money taking care of my family and my patients who are considered family.  Sadly it would appear that this billionare had no personal self worth or life purpose.  His purpose was to make money and when his firm lost so much he lost perspective on what was important.

Wellness includes a sense of well being and knowing what is truly important and what isn't.  Remember that no matter how bad things get or seem to get, it could always be worse. Just remember that each day is a gift which is why the call it a present.

 Live, breath and love thyself.

 Dr. B


No comments:

Post a Comment